That reeks of tagging for the renderer.

Surely there is a landuse=grass (or natural=meadow or scrub) + some sort of
helipad tag that could be used for this.

The grass or meadow or scrub by itself should (correctly) be rendered, and a
private tag aeroway=rough_helipad or emergency_helipad or something could
document it’s potential helipad use.

leisure=common implies (to me) it’s purpose for sports/grass related
activities, not helicopter/helipad related activities.

If you want to map the clearings (cared for grass or wild meadow or scrub) then
do so and add your tag.

The sports pitch in the middle of our local school sports stadium is also the
staging grounds for wildfire fighting helicopters.

I’m not about to add a aeroway=helipad to the field because it could be used
for emergency evacuations.

Javbw