On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 1:02 PM, John Eldredge <j...@jfeldredge.com> wrote:

> From my experience in the USA, prepay is only available by going inside
> and paying the clerk. If it turns out you didn't have enough room in your
> fuel tank for the amount you prepaid for, you go inside a second time and
> get a refund. The majority of self-service stations now require that you
> either pay at the pump with a card, or come inside and prepay if you will
> be using cash, because of people pumping fuel and then driving away without
> paying.

Yeah, Kum & Go <http://www.kumandgo.com/>, as a chain, seems to be very
unique in dispensing gas on the honor system, and could be idiosyncratic to
the region, in allowing pumps to start with the press of a button and no
other input; usually it's some one-off Sinclair or Exxon franchises that
are slow and rural enough to provide self and mini service on the same
island at the same price, often using older equipment incapable of
accepting payment at the pump.  QuikTrip will allow this, but they issue a
QuikStart card (that they only advertise in 10 point font on a sticker on
the front of the pump along with the rest of the fine print like how much
to expect a credit hold to be and the maximum amount dispensed per card
sale) so they know who turned on the pump before driving off without
paying.