Thanks

"This allows them to be rendered as a orientated feature, rather than just as a node."

I know little of rendering rules, but the French render appears to rotate node icon to suit

http://tile.openstreetmap.fr/?zoom=20&lat=49.01049&lon=8.3876&layers=B0000000FFFFFF

https://github.com/cquest/osmfr-cartocss/blob/abe144cfb375eb7fb403992f06924c40120c6cbf/other.mss#L3547

To me, it seems worse for mapnik to miss the rendering of 75% of traffic lights than not displaying any of them. If you can see some the assumption is that that's all of them.

Dave F.