> On Jul 21, 2015, at 9:13 AM, Greg Troxel <g...@ir.bbn.com> wrote:
>
> One thing that perhaps might want to be captured in other disputes is
> what happens when one country actually occupies and controls the
> disputed territory.  There, there's a de facto border and a claim.

The Senkaku Island dispute would make this really rough. Whoever controls the
island gets to use the "Exclusive Economic Zone" for it, and the border drawn
around the islands are murky.

China and Japan regularly send people to "visit" the islands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senkaku_Islands_dispute

China is now building  / expanding Atolls, so they are literally making new
islands to expand their border (which would be in the ocean) - where the lines
would be seem very unclear ><

China has turned some atolls into actual islands with facilities, so they are
inhabited - but are they China's?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/world/south-china-sea/

I guess it would be clearer for disputes like the Kuril Islands - claimed by
Japan, occupied and administered by Russia - but passports are not "required".

Russian administration and long time residents living in disputed territory.
For 70 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuril_Islands_dispute