not at all, this might be the case in some areas (that I am not aware of) and
edge cases, but the typical supermarket is 1 storey, in huge cases 2 (and then
one level is typically electronics, or gardening and other non-food articles
and tends towards a department store by the selection of products) and doesn't
have a representative / expensive outside facade, while department stores tend
to have at least 3 floors, typically 4 and more, and do have to have a
representative outside, so no, these are not the same kind of buildings.

This is not generally true, although it might be where you are. A typical department store here is one or two floors inside, with an outside somewhat like this: https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7057/6842722906_1b8e4cc101_z.jpg, or maybe on the fancier end, https://www.flickr.com/photos/darrellinyvr/6988854497/. This is the same as in Ontario, and across much of the US where I have traveled. The only 3+ floor locations that come to mind are some old stores downtown.

Meanwhile, with moving ramps capable of taking carts, some new supermarkets are on an elevated level.

Do you have any real example of a supermarket becoming a department store or
vice versa?
Yes - local to me, the Woodward's location used to be a department store, and has been a Zeller's (discount retail), parts of a Safeway (supermarket), fitness center, and now has a Walmart moving into part of it.

You should not assume that the architecture you are familiar with is common across the world.