sent from a phone

Am 28.08.2015 um 00:22 schrieb Paul Norman <penor...@mac.com>:

This is not generally true, although it might be where you are. A typical
department store here is one or two floors inside, with an outside somewhat
like this: https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7057/6842722906_1b8e4cc101_z.jpg, or
maybe on the fancier end,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/darrellinyvr/6988854497/.

I'm sorry for you ;-)

This is the same as in Ontario, and across much of the US where I have
traveled. The only 3+ floor locations that come to mind are some old stores
downtown.

There are existing tags to describe the number of floors in a building. If that
is the only difference.

I know of one 'department store' building that is now an educational college.
The exterior of the building still reflects the origin of being a retail
building.

yes, I had some fear that this was indeed the case in North America, hence my
first sentence (referring to areas). I guess I had these old store locations
downtown in mind (typical for Europe as well).

Not sure what would be the best description for your typical building types (still,
"retail" without any additional information seems very generic), likely
"supermarket" and department store aren't ;-)

Nothing wrong with being generic, highway=residential covers a lot of different
looking roads around the world.
OSM can use existing sub tags to further describe them if required.