> On Sep 1, 2015, at 6:59 PM, p...@trigpoint.me.uk wrote:
>
> On Tue Sep 1 10:49:56 2015 GMT+0100, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
>>
>> I unsure about highway=bridleway+bicycle=designated but given that it
>> appears 2 129 times worldwide it is likely that is also may be
>> considered as mistake.
>>
> Makes sense to me, bicycles can legally use a bridleway in England/Wales.
> Practicality will depend upon surface, type of bike and recent weather.

I can see this happening in real life where a bridleway provides
easier/quicker/safer access to bypass a route that is not safe or convenient
for bikes, so they just make up rule that “bikes have to use this route”. The
route being an existing bridleway.

These issues also come up in countries with contradicting and odd bicycle laws.
Until recently, bicycles were legally pedestrians in Japan, which made
professional road cyclists kind of like odd car-people. I have been honked off
the road by crazy lady (even after the law change). But with the increasing use
of cars, there are more and more bicycle-person and car-bicycle accidents
because of horrible sidewalks covered with poles on narrow roads - so they
recently reclassified bicycles as cars, trying to put them on the roads
(without any bicycle lanes whatsoever outside of Tokyo, of course) -  which is
at odds with the many many old ladies and kids lazily riding bicycles on
sidewalks. It’s like there are two grades of cyclists - but one grade of law.
But most sidewalks continue to be bicycle=yes.

However, sometimes they force the road bicycles onto the sidewalk because the
intersection is just too complicated and dangerous.

I can only find an example of one that is no longer used, but I have seen many
of these around. https://goo.gl/maps/6fVAZ <https://goo.gl/maps/6fVAZ> I
imagine many of them are still in use and “the law” in many places.

This means that, in Japan, there are designated cycleways, a ton of sidewalks
(footways) have bicycle=yes, and in some short sections, the sidewalk has
bicycle=designated. It is not a cycleway, but it is a sidewalk
(foot=designated, bicycle=yes) that for a short section also has
bicycle=designated to properly reflect the real world.
this flexibility in the tagging is what makes it possible to reflect the real
world - it does not turn the sidewalk into a cycleway for 20 meters where it
crosses an intersection, nor a section of bridleway that someone decided to
legally route bicycles on to avoid some kind of traffic problem after the fact.
Nor is it an ambiguous path.

Javbw