From: ralph.ayt...@ntlworld.com
To: tagging@openstreetmap.org
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 10:14:48 +0100
Subject: Re: [Tagging] power=* tag: minor_line vs. line

Please remember that this is OpenStreetMap and most mappers are not experts
on the features they are mapping. It is my personal appeal to all to allow a
tagging system that allows general mappers to put a specific feature on the map
using overall basic tags and then the experts can come in and “add” additional
tags to break it into it’s specific grouping or usage and even take it to the
nth degree of ridiculous if
they so wish. Let us take the Electricity Grid as that example, if the general
mapper can identify a power line on the aerial imagery then they map it as a
power=line. They may even have the ability to identify the position of
most pylons (if the imagery shows a good shadow to identify between pole and
pylon) through open country, it becomes a lot more difficult and blurred in
Towns and Cities. For those who have a bit more local knowledge of the grid
they
may then add the major detail such as National Grid which carries the highest
voltage, this breaks down to a lower voltage at a sub station to enter the
regional grid and then repeats this step to a lower voltage again for the local
or distributer grid.
Hopefully you will bear in mind the mapper and the process of getting
detail on the map before you start deciding that the mappers should all be
using
the detailed knowledge tags that you are proposing. If the tags get too
detailed
for general mappers then you are going to stop them from adding basic detail to
the map. I for one will stop adding power lines altogether if I do not know if
it is high or low voltage, national or local grid. I WILL CONTINUE TO MAP THEM
IF I AM ABLE TO JUST TAG IT AS A POWER LINE and be able to leave it up to
someone with more knowledge to identify it further.
Please remember the majority of mappers are not experts in all fields. I
may identify a structure on the aerial imagery and identify it as a building
but
I have no way of knowing if it is a family home, a corner shop or a local pub
... so I tag it with the most general tag building=yes. I need to be
able to do the same with power lines ... a very basic tag for general use.