We are not talking about stop to differentiate power lines but to use
different tags to do so.

By landscape : importance=* may support the difference between "big"
and "small" power lines.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_Features/Importance
power=line + importance=local
power=line + importance=regional
power=line + importance=minor
power=line + importance=major
and so on

On supports : color=*, structure=*, height=*

By power grid function :
power=line + usage=distribution
power=line + usage=transmission
power=line + usage=traction
and so on

I completely second what Ralph said.
The problem is also no one has really the same point of view regarding
power lines classification.

And we are forcing people who can't/don't want to handle such a choice
between minor/major, huge/small, useful/not useful.

Finally, how would you tag such feature ?
https://www.google.fr/maps/@46.0051218,6.6292445,3a,75y,140.55h,108.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snMHy5MWRsC1Q39kjLUSkag!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

cheers

François