On 2016년 02월 02일 04:16, Warin wrote:
>> However, the English word "Gallery" doesn't seem to have this specific
>> meaning. Merriam-Webster includes "sculptures, etc"
>> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gallery
>
> Picking nits;
> Merriam-Webster is American English.
> OSM policy is to use British English ... so the Oxford Dictionary should
> be used.

Right.

https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/gallery
https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/museum

Gallery: A room or building for the display or sale of works of art: an
art gallery the National Gallery

Museum: A building in which objects of historical, scientific, artistic,
or cultural interest are stored and exhibited: [as name]: the Museum of
Modern Art

Also the British English is contradicting the use in OSM and the
definition in the OSM wiki where museum is non-art only and Gallery is a
Museum for art. That seems completely made up. Thanks Matthijs for
bringing this conversation up. Now how do we fix it?

M.