@Warin,

Thanks for your reply. While I may agree with you on some of this my
question has more to do with understanding the tagging scheme that's in
place and how it came to be there rather than trying to change it to
something different. For example, I agree "sells" would be a better tag
than "sale" but sale is already present in the JOSM preset.

Unifying the tagging of motorcycle shops with those for cars, bicycles,
etc. is certainly a worthwhile goal but it's beyond what I want to take on
at the moment.

I'm afraid the old saying about "too many cooks spoiling the broth" applies
in this case (and many others I'm sure).

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand