Hi,

On 03/07/2016 06:47 AM, Marc Gemis wrote:
> Is e.g. brand for shop=car, amenity=fuel, amenity=bank acceptable ?

The word "brand" has its root in the process of marking live animals
with a glowing "branding iron" to identify their owner.

I understand "brand" in OSM as a tag that we apply to an outlet when the
"branding" is clearly visible from the outside; petrol stations of
different brands will usually look distinctively different and will be
distinguishable from far away.

In my opinion, "brand" is *not* about what types of things are sold in a
shop; a shop that sells Pepsi Cola as opposed to Coke will certainly not
be tagged brand=Pepsi.

> What for shop=caravan ? or shop=caravan;camper ? They typically sell
> multiple brands,

Brand is not what it sells or services but what it is "branded as";
being branded as two different things at the same time would thoroughly
defy the purpose of branding, both ancient and modern.

This has nothing to do with my opposition to sells=*.

Bye
Frederik