Hi all,

I notice the same trend happening with nearly all discussions.

Instead of being able to consistently look at and discuss these key features as
a world-wide general term the discussion tends to become mired in precise local
situations.

The discussion was originally about the key ‘building’ which is a general term
used to indicate a structure of some kind (this would be the broadest
definition which would be acceptable in nearly every part of the world).

The value would be what defines the more precise description of that structure
(e.g. Single household, multiple use, shed, garage, etc.)

With armchair mapping it may not always be possible to identify the extent of
single buildings (as in an informal slum area, or a complex high rise city
centre where the imagery is oblique).

It is preferable in this situation to allow the indication that there are
structures there that need more detailed sorting and am in agreement with Blake
about the possibility of adding a tag building=multiple which should flag up in
any validation process as needing attention (as highway=road does). I also
agree that this should be only used as a last resort and sparingly.

At the moment I see mappers leaving blank spaces because they cannot identify
individual buildings, either because of the complexity of the area or because
the imagery is not sharp enough. This approach will allow them to indicate that
there are structures there but need more attention.