> Thank you, they are indeed interesting examples to discuss the subject.
> These were traced 6 years ago, most certainly with a survey and/or
> lower quality imagery.
>
> Is this suitable tracing and tagging (6 years ago)?

by that time we just had received the special allowance to use official
aerial imagery to trace for OSM, which have a better positional accuracy
than what Bing ever offered in these areas:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:ITALY_Auth_portale_cartografico_nazionale.png
so I think bad image quality wasn't the reason. The fact that these are
quite old shows that as soon as something is "occupying" the space
somewhere, people will be less inclined to add more detail (most mappers
will not notice that there is a problem). Rome's city center is a bit
special anyway, because it is mostly used by tourists, while locals tend to
live in the areas around it, you can see more details outside the centre
than inside.

Cheers,
Martin