ground is a synonym for [..] without man made coating

As I tag heavily with surface=ground, this is indeed my definition. I use that when I tag from orbital imagery, when I'm certain that there is no man-made coating but I can't distinguish whether the surface is sand or raw dirt... My on-the-ground (pun intended) experience of the areas where I use this tag (mostly Senegal) tells me that it is usually either or a mix of the two that varies along the way. When I have visual evidence that the highway is at least packed dirt, then I use 'unpaved'.