if we go with "official" we will always be on the side of the powerful, and we will completely ignore other aspects. Take the Basque area as example, it is not long ago, that only French and Spanish (according to the side you are looking at) were officially recognized, we would have completely ignored the native Basque population with this rule.

Basque area isn't a country & the region can be rendered with it's own regional name using name:*=.

Also, if you write "official language", would this include recognized minority languages? Should we have a different tag for this? See here for example about the only one "official language" in France and other relevant languages: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_policy_in_France

See my comment above

Cheers
DaveF