I thought the original question was broader than just the patches of
green next to the road. I also want to know how to map those green
patches when they are not part of roundabouts, or are located between
sidewalk and road (where cars drive).

What about the green patches around public buildings ? Next to
playgrounds ? Do they get landuse=civic, or leisure=recreation_area ?
And to repeat you question, what if on the other side there is a
railway, a street etc.

Is "green" considered a garden when it is around a building, but not
when it is between a cycleway and the main road ?

And what about the large grass areas in village centers ? Park,
recreation, garden ?