On 19-Feb-17 03:11 AM, Eugene Alvin Villar wrote:

I'm not so sure that tagging minutiae like this is appropriate for OSM, which is really a geo-database and not a business/services directory. This is like tagging Italian restaurants with something like the following (which I hope nobody thinks is a good idea):

OSM could be restricted to just roads. Why have restaurants at all in OSM? But fortunately the majority can see that some section of users want restaurants and they want to be able to distinguish between different cuisines.
Same thing for opening_hours .. too much detail for OSM? I think not.

I think it is enough just to indicate if a laundromat is self-service, coin-operated, full-service, etc. and not bothering to classify the available washing machines. I know tagging information like these is useful but should these really be included in OSM? Maybe we ought to have an OpenBusinessDirectory sister project or something: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Business_Directory

Fuel stations are now tagged with the type of fuel available there.
I see no reason to limit what one feature can be tagged with if someone wants to tag them ...after all OSM is free tagging with what ever a mapper wants to place on a feature. By discussing that tagging here you have an opportunity to format that tagging into something that might just make sense, has some structure and conforms to the other structures used in OSM tagging.

If someone does not want the added detail .. then there is no compulsion for them to add nor use that data.