On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 10:30 AM, Tom Pfeifer <t.pfei...@computer.org> wrote:
> I agree that tagging pronunciation is a good thing for unusual situations,
> and the examples that were cited before already use the IPA [1], which would
> be my recommendation as well.
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet

I quite agree!

Locally, I'd use it because we have quite a lot of place names whose
local pronunciation is not what you'd expect. Edinburg, New York, has
its 'g'; 'Cairo' is /ˈkʰeɪ̯.ɹoʊ̯/; 'Berlin;' is /ˈbəːɹ.ɫᵻn/ (or
perhaps/ˈbɜːɹ.ɫᵻn/,
the local dialect has the fir-fur-fern merger. 'Heard' and 'herd' are
pronounced alike); Delhi is /'dʰɛɫˌhäɪ̯/ (nearer a spondee than a trochee).

It might be wise to permit Kirshenbaum[1] or X-SAMPA[2] as alternatives
(I'd favour the latter, since I know of existing TTS systems that can deal with
it.) IPA can be an issue for the keyboard-challenged. That said, I'd be
satisfied if front-end programs like JOSM would be able to accept
X-SAMPA from the keyboard but store and display the IPA for it.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirshenbaum
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-SAMPA