Is ignoring what the community did so far, a guideline ? People have
used the tag boutique. So why cannot we take this practice and use
that as the guideline ? Why change the currently used tags, causing a
cost of all involved parties ?

But forget about that for a moment. What are the
criteria/formula/checklist one has to use to decide whether 2
different tags are appropriate or when a subtag has to be used.

Can you and Jean-Marc give me those ?

Can we apply this criteria/formula/checklist  to the following group
of tags and see whether the have to be changed into subtags ?

shop=clothes, boutique
shop=supermarket, deli, convenience
man_made/power=tower, mast, pole, flag_pole
building=residential, house, semi-detached, apartment, villa
shop=car, car_repair, car_parts, tire

* is having a wikipedia page in 10 or more languages a criteria ? apparently no
* is having a large number of objects tagged like that in OSM a
criteria ? apparently no
* is knowing how many people have searched for each of those
individual items a criteria ? Don't know, wouldn't know how we can
count that.

This is a serious question. I want to understand why people think the
about differences are ok, but clothes and boutique not.

regards

m.