TL:DR - we need a “flower field” tag or a variant of flowerbed.  tat is not
related to farming, but more to garden or tourism. This is a tag for the field
itself, not the entire location, which may need a garden:type=spectacle value
to define it.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/flowerbed
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/flowerbed> (yay! more
landuse= values!)

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:garden:type
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:garden:type>

~~~~

I visited a tulip field In Japan yesterday; thousands of people coming to take
photographs of a field of flowers and the Dutch windmill they built.
http://www.city.sakura.lg.jp/0000000674.html
<http://www.city.sakura.lg.jp/0000000674.html>

This is very similar to the flower fields (and windmill) in Calrlsbad,
California - the tulips and other flowers grown are a spectacle to attract
visitors.
http://www.theflowerfields.com <http://www.theflowerfields.com/>

It is not a commercial farm which happens to be pretty.  it is a carefully
planned place to attract tourists to see the flowers as a spectacle - like a
garden or park.

I understand that in Holland, those are commercial farms (landuse=farmland
crop=flowers), the beauty is incidental. But people recreate the spectacle on a
smaller scale as purely a tourist attraction.

Similarly, Hitachinaka Park has a large hill which they rotate the crop of
flowers (Nemophila is the most popular) and tens of thousands of people come to
see the flowers every season.

I tagged the flower area on the hill a year or so ago - but was unsure of how
to tag the flowered ground. I left it untagged.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/378065849
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/378065849>

Visible here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/javbw/23417161516/in/dateposted-public/
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/javbw/23417161516/in/dateposted-public/> (
Fall).
https://www.flickr.com/photos/javbw/11094010745/in/dateposted-public/
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/javbw/11094010745/in/dateposted-public/> (
Spring) .

There are also large fields of colorful shibazakura that are planted as a
tourist attraction. in many large flower grounds.
In all these instances, the flower fields are a tourist attraction. their
primary purpose is similar to a botanical garden - they are grown to be viewed
- but in a garden/park like atmosphere.

These images are very popular online, especially the large field near Mt Fuji.
. https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=shibazakura
<https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=shibazakura>

chichibu:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/javbw/23075345199/in/dateposted-public/
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/javbw/23075345199/in/dateposted-public/>

People may buy some flowers, but it is incidental - people primarily come to
see them. It’s not flower art - there is no “image” grown into the flowers -
the flowers themselves are the attraction.

having it tagged as farmland seems wrong. It’s not a crop. It’s not a plant
nursery. It’s not a botanical garden.

 It’s not a “park” -  the entire location may be a form of “garden” tagged as a
tourist attraction, but the **field itself** needs a tag.

Flowerbed? seems a little weird to tag 3000m2 as a flowerbed. But if it is
approved I will use it.

Suggestions?

Javbw