As far as I can tell, for two-way streets, there is no differences, it’s just
more explicit.

Given the difference in usage numbers (1522 vs. 254509) I would go with just
cycleway=lane (I actually checked these numbers before I made that last post).

For one-way streets, I’m not sure how most software is going to interpret it.
As it’s somewhat ambiguous, I would say the better solution with a oneway
street is to go with an explicit:

cycleway:left=lane

cycleway:right=lane

if one of the two is for traffic against the flow indicated by the oneway tag,
use:

cycleway:left=opposite_lane (or cycleway:right, depending)

oneway:bicycle=no

if there is only one cycle lane, but it’s allowed to travel in both directions
on an otherwise one-way road use:

cycleway:left=opposite (or cycleway:right, depending which side, as seen from
the forward direction of the main oneway road the two-way cycle lane is one)

oneway:bicycle=no

(yes, that isn’t exactly the best value, but that’s what the wiki defines and
looking at overpass query results, it seems to be used as such)