The wiki page on cycling infrastructure from the Lübeck Stammtish,
mentioned this explicitly "und/oder", see [1]

I also see that they use cycleway:left/right=sidepath, I have never
used that, I used bicycle:forward/backward=use_sidepath

What is the preferred method ?

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/L%C3%BCbeck/Fahrradstadtplan
(in German)