With emergency and disabled as part of access restrictions, they central
question becomes, are these access tag values (like yes, no, private,
destination, delivery, customers, ...) or transport modes (like foot, bicycle,
motor_vehicle, ...)

access=no
emergency=yes

implies that it is a transport mode.

While:

vehicle=emergency
foot=yes

an access tag value.

Personally, I feel that disabled and emergency sound more like access tag
values (similar to customer, agricultural, forestry) than transport modes.

But I've now noticed that emergency and disabled ARE actually documented under
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access but as transport modes.