On 06/06/2018 12:48, Paul Allen wrote:

Actually, there is a difference.

If grass is grown for a purpose (be it grazing or mere decoration) it's landuse.  If it's there naturally and not used (by man) for any purpose (or incidental to man's purposes)
then it's landcover.  At least, that's how I see it.

I see grass as grass. If it's maintained by humans, that should be described in sub-tags, not in different key tags. Something like:
landuse=grass
municipal_maintained=yes

The same problem occurs with woods, where natural/landuse is used to differentiate whether it's human managed. (In fact it's often further misused to describe density of the trees). Again all 'adjective' descriptions should be recorded in sub=tags.

DaveF