13. Jun 2018 07:47 by marc.ge...@gmail.com <mailto:marc.ge...@gmail.com>:

> won't work, see e.g.
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=waasmunster#map=16/51.1215/4.0932&layers=N
>
> <https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=waasmunster#map=16/51.1215/4.0932&layers=N>
> that's not a forest, that are a lot of private gardens with trees in it.

I opened https://www.openstreetmap.org/note/1424854
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/note/1424854> - somebody included also areas

without trees.

> A forest is a place where you can walk, ride, cycle. Not someones
> private backyard.

So you want to count tree-covered areas that are not private? (including ones
in private backyards).

I think that it is not doable with current OSM data (access=private is
extremely rarely

tagged on private areas) though excluding areas tagged also as
landuse=residential

may be a good approximation.

> Our government talks often about there is so many square meter of
> forest in Belgium.
> It's not sufficient to subtract all small areas, you need to subtract
> somehow everything that is not a forest (see above)

So do you want to exclude private forests or something else?