landcover=* has reached a significant usage despite not being rendered on
OSM Carto, nor supported by tools.  It does not require big changes to
existing data or schemes to add rendering of landcover=trees|scrub|grass.
Technically I have not seen any problems to render this, particularly since
it's not new rendering, it's using existing rendering.

I would suggest, for now, just to start rendering of the existing landcover
tagging, without any other change to schemes, principals or whatever. There
is no conflict with exiating usage and schemes, just an extra.

If it doesn't take hold, so be it. But I think the signs are there that it
fulfils a widely (though not universally) felt wish and will help to reduce
controversy about the logic of tagging wood and grass. If so, we will see a
steady increase in usage of landcover tagging and a gradual decrease in
non-natural naturals and non-landuse landuses.

> > And landuse=forest is used for landcover, not landuse, so such mapping
> is correct.
>
> As I see it, it evolved from mapping areas where wood is used for
> timber into a landcover tag. The first person that used it for
> landcover purpose have mapped for the renderer imho. Others followed
> and now people state it is a landcover tag.
>
> m.

Vr gr Peter Elderson