On Wednesday 20 June 2018, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:

> > * establish verifiable principles for decisions about tagging
> > presets in iD that limit use of presets to push subjectively
> > preferred tagging ideas against existing widely accepted practice.
> > * modify iD to allow for more diversity in tagging presets used by
> > mappers (for example by offering presets available in JOSM as an
> > alternative).
> > * refrain from connecting tagging discussions you start here to iD
> > preset decisions - including use of your decision power as leverage
> > in discourse, like with
>
> I think that this concerns are valid, though I would not mix it with
> claim
>
> that editor developers controlling presets is wrong.

Note i have not said that.  What i spoke up against is developers using
control over presets to influence and steer mappers in the sense of
pushing subjectively preferred tagging ideas against existing accepted
practice.  As you know my view of developers in OSM is that of a
support role for the mapping community, not that of a privileged class
above the mapper base.

But i also think that the question if it might be a good idea to
introduce more meritocratic elements into development of tagging
concepts in OSM is something worth discussing.  At the moment we have a
fairly radical do-ocracy in this field and the impression of Bryan and
others that this leads to bad tagging choices in quite a few cases is
valid.  I just disagree that the solution to that is having self
declared leaders watch over the mappers.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/