sent from a phone

> On 30. Jun 2018, at 14:41, Volker Schmidt <vosc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The reason I am asking here, is that I detected by chance that navigation
> channels in the Venice Lagoon [1] have been tagged as waterway=canal, which
> to me seems not correct, or at least not covered by the wiki definition.

I have noticed problems with this as well in a map I made in this area
(1:400.000) this week, what a coincidence.

Reading the wiki, it seems in line with the canali tagged like this (artificial
ones, if there are any), because there is a merely functional distinction:

“An artificial open flow waterway used to carry useful water for
transportation, waterpower, or irrigation.”

Somehow the mapnik style always conveyed a hierarchy of scale between canal,
drain and ditch but there is not anything about this in the current wiki
article: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:waterway%3Dcanal

Thinking about it, the Canale Grande should maybe not get waterway=canal but
waterway=river?

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/398987317#map=14/45.4368/12.3284

Cheers,
Martin