A closer look at some similar relations (thanks, Kevin) indicates others
have had the same issue and resolved it in various ways. One person left
the water-crossing ways untagged, as I did, another used waterway=river to
mark them, another used route=ferry (both incorrect for my situation).

Graeme asks:  When people are following the trail & arrive at a lake, would
everybody use the same route across the lake, or would you go straight
across, while I follow right round the shoreline?

It all depends. Sometimes the best route is a straight line, other times
not. You might need to put the canoe in the water and just paddle a short
distance down one shore to the next portage or carry, not crossing the lake
at all. This canoe trail is in a wilderness area where the lake
shorelines are generally heavily wooded and the footways practically
invisible from the water.

Short of following the route in some as-yet-undescribed manner, I'm aware
of no way to indicate where one takes the boat out of the water (the
take-out point) to begin the portage to the next lake. If these various
take-out/put-in nodes were amenable to separate tagging, e.g., if they were
named pieces of the route, it would make getting to that place easy.
However, in this use case they are not named or designated in any way so
when one is traveling a lake section of the route, the crossing of that
section would need to be arranged in advance on Basecamp (or some other
routing-capable software), with those points in order to not to miss them.

In a canoe route that crosses a few lakes in a more or less straight line,
follows some streams, has a few highway=footway portions (portages) and
ends up back where it started, the untagged ways are not a big problem. But
without legitimate and acceptable tagging for its water crossings, I fear
the Swan Lake Canoe Trail will not guide an inexperienced canoeist to those
important take-out points. That's why I'm asking here for best practices.
But maybe my concerns are overblown?

Thanks again for the help. I've got some cleaning up to do along the route.
I need to remove some of the side trips from the route relation and then
test it for completeness with one of the tools mentioned earlier.

--
Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska