On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 9:51 PM Jmapb <jm...@gmx.com> wrote:

> I know that in the USA, it's very common to see detached houses tagged
> as building=house, and there have been lots of mappers and imports of
> house footprints using this tag. Possibly related to the fact that the
> term "detached" is not used very much in the USA, so building=house is a
> much more natural tag to most Americans' ears.

In the US detached may also be inferred as an accessory dwelling unit, such
as what is often called a "Mother-in-law" unit.  Around me they are legally
called Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU) [1].  I typically have been tagging
single family houses as building=house. I realize it that they should be
building=detached, but so many residential homes in the US are tagged as
building=house.

[1]
https://www.seattle.gov/dpd/permits/commonprojects/motherinlawunits/default.htm

--