On 23/07/18 07:22, Andrew Hain wrote:
I will admit to having stuck to building=house in Britain and letting the geometry of the way identify the configuration.
+1
For a row of houses .. ie terrace houses there is
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:building%3Dterrace

I disagree with the suggesting if they are individually mapped they should be tagged building=house, they are still a terrace so building=terrace is still appropriate and more detailed.

--
Andrew
*From:* Tom Pfeifer <t.pfei...@computer.org>
*Sent:* 22 July 2018 21:27:30
*To:* Tag discussion, strategy and related tools
*Subject:* Re: [Tagging] building = house vs detached.
Probably the reason can be explained etymologically.

In the UK, terraced houses (AmE row houses) are very common, so those lucky enough to hear less noise from their neighbours emphasize that by owning a 'detached' (not attached to a terrace) or 'semi-detached' (two houses sharing a wall) building. The detached/semi-detached also allow outdoor access to the back garden, so the 'end-of-terrace' house is marketed with a similar advantage.

In countries where terraced houses are less common, there is less need to emphasize that the house is free-standing. Also, 'house' is easier to understand for a non-native speaker than 'detached'.

tom