normalization into SI is the sort of thing that engineers and scientists
go for, and speaking as a (computer) scientist it has some appeal.

but practically it's probably not a good idea in mapping, where i think
we should be using local units in an unambiguous manner.

if i see maxspeed=40 on a road in the US w/o units, i have no idea what
i'm looking at, it could be 40mph or it could be 25mph. the mapper who
entered the data knew what s/he was looking at but i sure don't.

richard

On 7/27/18 11:20 AM, marc marc wrote:
> I agree maybe with the exeption of case like maxspeed
>
> François voltage is a good usecase to open an issue to the whised app.
>
> Le 27. 07. 18 à 14:19, Andrew Hain a écrit :
>> My own preference is to have no (zero) units in the database, decimals
>> where wanted (maxwidth=2.2) and unit management support in editors.
>>
>> --
>> Andrew

rwe...@averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux