sent from a phone

> On 27. Jul 2018, at 19:48, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny+...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm all for SI units for things like voltages and elevations. I'm
> perfectly fine with tagging the elevation of Slide Mountain as 1274
> metres and letting a US data consumer convert that to 4180 feet.
>
> Regulatory things like maxspeed=* should have the unit in the tag, and
> they should be in the same units that the signs are in. A sign reading
> 'Speed limit 25 mph' means 25 mph, and entering 40.2336 km/h loses the
> information that the regulatory signs are in US customary units.

+1. In the case of elevation data, even if someone writes in the wiki that
using SI units is mandatory, and elevations should be with respect to the EGM96
sea level, you should still expect there will be many mappers copying numbers
from a sign without any conversion. And it could even make more sense to
display the elevation in the locally common system, i.e. what is on the sign
would also be on the (local) map. I agree this could on the other hand be seen
as inconsistent, but I guess it is what is already happening.

cheers,
Martin