https://orthos.dhses.ny.gov/?Extent=-8283718.624472891,5242597.149663145,-8283317.927238801,5242833.029555047&Layers=2017_cache,2016_cache,2015_cache,2014_cache,2013_cache
>There, we have an extra lane on the northbound side for the purpose of
>getting by when the way is blocked by left-turning traffic

My case is almost identical to the above illustration, except to substitute
the words "slow moving vehicles" for "left turning traffic". I reckon I
could use the lanes tagging but like Kevin, I have many "other fish to fry"
which is why I'm still looking for a simple one-tag-fixes-all solution.

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 12:22 PM Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.ke...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 2:22 PM Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 26, 2018, 12:30 Dave Swarthout <daveswarth...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> I agree that those are two different critters and that using the
> passing _place tag is not the best way to handle this. But, aside from
> splitting the highway into lanes:forward, lanes:backward, etc., how should
> such a turnout be tagged? That's the question that led to this thread.
> >>
> >> highway=slow_vehicle_turnout ?
> >>
> >> slow_vehicle_turnout=yes ?
> >
> > I don't think there's a reason to tag it as anything special beyond just
> the usual turn lanes tagging, since it's the same situation as any other
> "keep right except to pass" situation, just shorter.
>
> I *mostly* agree.
>
> Around here, the law doesn't say you have to use a climbing lane
> unless you're slow-moving. That's unlike a typical multilane road,
> where you are required to keep to the right except to pass. The
> posting is different, too: "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS" for an ordinary
> multilane road as opposed to "SLOW MOVING TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT" for a
> climbing lane. They're often striped differently, too:
>
> https://orthos.dhses.ny.gov/?Extent=-8246951.946404826,5277161.158511143,-8246672.174938101,5277392.55967092&Layers=2017_cache,2016_cache,2015_cache,2014_cache,2013_cache
> is an example.  (Uphill is to the west.) The resolution on the orthos
> isn't quite good enough to show that the rightmost lane is separated
> by a double broken line, not just a single one, but you can see that
> it looks heavier in the imagery.  That stretch is also signed that
> HGV's, buses and trailers are forbidden in the leftmost lane.
>
> We also have the occasional spot like
>
> https://orthos.dhses.ny.gov/?Extent=-8283718.624472891,5242597.149663145,-8283317.927238801,5242833.029555047&Layers=2017_cache,2016_cache,2015_cache,2014_cache,2013_cache
> There, we have an extra lane on the northbound side for the purpose of
> getting by when the way is blocked by left-turning traffic. When the
> way is clear, it's normal and expected to proceed through the
> intersection on the main lane. By contrast, the extra lane on the
> southbound side is striped and signed as a dedicated turning lane.
>
> I'd still ordinarily just use the 'lanes' tags and possible turn
> restrictions. (If I troubled to tag traffic lanes. Ordinarily, I
> don't. I have other fish to fry.)

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand