@Graeme wrote:
 "overtaking_lane" perhaps?

I see the phrase overtaking lane as more like an extra lane for climbing
hills, or a lane dedicated to passing, but such lanes are not "separate"
like the turnouts in my examples. These slow vehicle turnouts are a
short-length "extra" lane on the right side. It's not so much a "passing
lane" as it is a lane where one can be intentionally passed.

Thanks for the feedback.

Dave

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 3:39 AM Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 at 20:31, Dave Swarthout <daveswarth...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Because the turnouts use a separate lane, are very short in length, and
>> are not really thoroughfares in the usual sense, might it be logical to tag
>> them as service roads? As an example:
>> highway=service
>> service=slow_vehicle_turnout (or slow_vehicle_lane)
>> lanes=1
>> oneway=yes
>>

> That would certainly work Dave
>
> "overtaking_lane" perhaps?
>
> I know they don't have one posted (at least not out here) but would
> tagging this lane with a max_speed say 10 kph lower than the "main road"
> help?
>
> Thanks
>
> Graeme

Dave Swarthout