On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 4:11 PM Dave Swarthout <daveswarth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >We also have the occasional spot like
> >https://orthos.dhses.ny.gov/?Extent=-8283718.624472891,5242597.149663145,-8283317.927238801,5242833.029555047&Layers=2017_cache,2016_cache,2015_cache,2014_cache,2013_cache
> >There, we have an extra lane on the northbound side for the purpose of
> >getting by when the way is blocked by left-turning traffic
>
> My case is almost identical to the above illustration, except to substitute
> the words "slow moving vehicles" for "left turning traffic". I reckon I could
> use the lanes tagging but like Kevin, I have many "other fish to fry" which
> is why I'm still looking for a simple one-tag-fixes-all solution.

My guess is that the slow-moving traffic is supposed to pull over into
the outer lane, allowing the parade behind to pass on the inside,
rather than the through traffic passing on the outer lane?  That's
like my first case, except that in that particular case, the climbing
lane goes on for several km (the highway is gaining a few hundred
metres of elevation up the Helderberg escarpment). We do have ones
that are more like pullouts rather than long lanes. There's a shorter
one on the westbound carriageway in
https://orthos.dhses.ny.gov/?Extent=-8267325.730037971,5268580.377261018,-8265722.941101252,5269523.896828834&Layers=2017_cache,2016_cache,2015_cache,2014_cache,2013_cache

By contrast, although the section is short, the outer westbound lane
in
https://orthos.dhses.ny.gov/?Extent=-8244541.671667748,5187738.535180551,-8244140.974433658,5187974.415072453&Layers=2017_cache,2016_cache,2015_cache,2014_cache,2013_cache
is NOT a climbing lane. It's set off by a single broken line, and
traffic is expected to keep to the right except to pass.