    While I agree with that, I do not see a need that sport=* is
    always attached to a physical object.
    In particular sports that are performed in a natural environment
    often have no sharp geographical limitations.

    Examples are areas in a lake for sport=swimming, or areas with
    rocks where you can sport=climbing.

but we do not map all places with all sports you could possibly do there, only those which provide infrastructure for them or are signposted (or maybe also just intensively used). While you could swim in most lakes, we only tag specific swimming places.

If there are no clear limits, we often use as node.

Hummm .. while 'swimming' can be done .. is there a competitive side to the swimming done there? A sport usually has some competitive side to it ... where as a recreation may not have that competitive side.

For example .. when I tag a swimming pool .. I only add the sport=swimming if I see marked lanes or some other indication of a competitive nature, other wise I do not include a sport tag.