Those descriptions I mentioned are in reference to driving. Yes, you can
pass a house but when you legally pass (or overtake) a car on a highway in
the U.S. you always pass on the left. I used those examples to justify my
reluctance to redefine passing_place to describe these special sections of
highway, turnouts or pullouts, that move slow traffic off to the right so
other vehicles can pass them on their left.

In fact, that's also another reason I resist using the lanes structure
suggested by others: how does one determine that those lanes are turnouts.
IMO, in either scheme, the word "turnout" must be used. Why not make it
simple (using the famous K.I.S.S. rationale), and just draw that extra lane
as a separate way, a service=turnout or, better but bulkier, as a
service=slow_vehicle_turnout ?

That's the direction I'm leaning toward at the moment.

Dave

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 3:42 PM Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 05/09/18 18:00, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>

> > I understand the word as you can pull out (on the right), so that others
> can pass you (on the left) but also: two vehicles can pass each other on an
> otherwise too narrow road.
>
> "Pull out" as an expression can mean to be removed from the mainstream,
> the normal flow.
> Of course it has other meanings too.
>
> > You can also “pass” an obstacle that stands still in English,
>
> Close .. you may go past a house/school/shop. Not 'pass' a house/etc.
>
> >   or am I misguided?
>
> English is not a very well behaved language ... like OSM tags :)

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand