On 8. Sep 2018, at 01:19, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm also quite definitely not an expert Dave :-), but personally, I think that
your highway=service + service=turnout concept may be the easiest, least messy
or complicated way of doing it?

if these are lanes it would not be acceptable, but if there’s a proper
carriageway on its own it is the way to go.

What Martin means is, it depends on physical separation. If the lane is physically separated e.g. by a barrier being at least a kerb, highway=service + service=* is fine. If not, the lane tagging comes in, and we have an established tagging style for lane properties.

tom