Interesting. But I do think that this person is right.

My research so far showed that neither source:maxspeed nor maxspeed:type
nor any of the other variants sufficiently cover the topic of default
speed limits (see last paragraphs).
So, it makes little sense to migrate to a solution that is perhaps a
little better than source:maxspeed but will not be the final word on it.

In the meantime, while it is of course not optimal, I do not find it is
such a big problem that source:maxspeed, maxspeed:type, traffic:zone
etc. are all used in parallel and basically mean the same thing because
the scheme for the values is all the same, only the keys are different.
Data users have little implementation effort to understand all of them.

In order to find an optimal and future proof tagging schema for default
speed limits, I believe that first extensive research have to be done to
find out what exists in the world, what has to be considered. Also, for
default speed limits to be actually used and understood by data
consumers, meta information needs to be collected about how to translate
road types to actual default speeds per vehicle type for each
country/region.
I started this (both) here, if you want to help, you are welcome:
   https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Default_speed_limits

I did intend to write a proposal about how the current scheme(s) are not
sufficient and what else I'd propose, after the research is done. But
since I mentioned it already in this mail, let me link a post in the
German forum where I recently touched on this subject by giving some
examples:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fforum.openstreetmap.org%2Fviewtopic.php%3Fpid%3D715500%23p715500&edit-text=&act=url
(Google translation)

Perhaps, everybody can get on the same page this way because I think it
is not well known that source:maxspeed/maxspeed:type is challenged to be
sufficient and why.

Cheers
Tobias