Yes,  that is the process that you should follow.  Please keep in mind the
it is easier to introduce a new tag than to redefine one. Requiring that
all current amenity=library have to be updated with a subtags library= book
will likely get some comments.

When I read the Wikipedia text on the osm wiki,  it seems that you can
consider a car rental place as a library. This does not match the
definition of the Dutch word bibliotheek which restricts it to books and .
They can be in electronic form though.  I guess all languages the use a
word derived from the same Greek origin will have the same meaning.

It would be very unnatural in those languages to say that something is a
bibliotheek,  but you will only find toys and games.

Regards