Am Di., 30. Okt. 2018 um 18:48 Uhr schrieb Allan Mustard <al...@mustard.net
>:

> Not really dropping.  More like reorganizing.  As someone who has spent
> hours puzzling over Maperitive's rendering rules, deciding how to build
> them so that particular categories of POIs will be rendered in specific
> ways, I am quite sensitive to the need for consistency and a finite number
> of possible permutations while also accommodating the need to cover every
> eventuality.  Hierarchies are designed for exactly that purpose.  After
> much back and forth at this point I am proposing a hierarchy that I believe
> meets all needs without being overly complex, and which will accommodate
> the novice mapper (diplomatic=embassy, period) and the advanced mapper
> (diplomatic=embassy, embassy=interests_section, etc.).
>
> diplomatic=* would become a top-level, primary tag.  It would have three
> categories: embassy, consulate, other.

to make this work, projects like osm carto would either have to add a
column for this key to their dbs or mappers would have to add something
like amenity=diplomatic on top of all tags (and likely it will lead to the
second way of doing it). It would make sense, if amenity=diplomatic was
sufficient information for a significant number of people, it doesn't make
sense if amenity=diplomatic does not convey the required information.

> If the consensus is that "other" sucks as an option I'm certainly open to
> other suggestions, but we need something for diplomatic missions headed by
> neither an ambassador/charge d'affaires (i.e., subject to the VCDR) nor a
> consul (i.e., subject to the VCCR).

diplomatic=minor_mission? If there's neither a consul nor an ambassador, it
must be somehow minor ;-)

> Then the real fun begins.  As I have read through the various comments and
> suggestions, it has occurred to me that the following hierarchy of tags
> would potentially fill the bill:
>
> The three values/categories (embassy, consulate, other) would have
> specific subcategories.  If you wanted to do a key search in overpass
> turbo, it would still be possible. The subcategories would be
>
> * embassy=[embassy/yes, nunciature, high_commission, interests_section,
> mission, delegation, branch_embassy]
>
> * consulate=[consulate/yes, consulate_general, consular_agency,
> consular_office, honorary_consul]
>
> * other=[liaison_office, representative_office, subnational]

if these are all exclusive, it could also be:

amenity=[embassy, consulate, minor_mission]
diplomatic=[(embassy/yes), nunciature, high_commission, interests_section,
mission, delegation, branch_embassy, (consulate/yes), consulate_general,
consular_agency, consular_office, honorary_consul, liaison_office,
representative_office, subnational]

we would save on keys and the main level (most mappers interested) would be
in the amenity space and have just 3 different, simple tags with reasonable
level of detail.

or amenity=[embassy, consulate, minor_mission]
embassy=[embassy/yes, nunciature, high_commission, interests_section,
mission, delegation, branch_embassy]
consulate=[consulate/yes, consulate_general, consular_agency,
consular_office, honorary_consul]
minor_mission =[liaison_office, representative_office, subnational]

diplomatic=[trade_office, assistance_office, cultural_center, user_defined]

(integrating your diplomatic:type)

Cheers,
Martin