Re: “To make this work, projects like osm carto would either have to add a
column for this key to their dbs”

I don’t think this is a big problem. This year we added “advertising” as a
top-level key that is rendered for advertising=column.

It does make the code a little more complex, but so does every new feature
and subtag.

I can’t say if a new main tag would affect performance of the rendering
servers, but I don’t think it would be significant.