On Thursday 10 January 2019, Markus wrote:

> I've replaced *nearly surrounded by water* with *surrounded by water
> on the majority of its border*, but i'm unsure whether this is
> clearer. If you or someone has a better idea, please tell me.

That is a fairly toothless criterion because you will very often be able
to achive this simply by mapping the coastline in more detail (making
it longer).

A more robust and tighter criterion would be that the length of the
non-water part of the boundary needs to be shorter than the square root
of its area.  Geometrically this limit is equivalent to a square shaped
peninsula connected at one of its sides.  Ultimately any such criterion
is an arbitrary limit of course.

Practical examples of things frequently called peninsulas that exceed
this limit are the Balkan Peninsula:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkans

and the Indian subcontinent:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_subcontinent

But i think if you really want natural=peninsula to be meaningful
geometrically you need to go at least to this limit.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/