sent from a phone

> On 2. Feb 2019, at 18:22, Markus <selfishseaho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> While i'm unsure that a mass edit is worth it, i see no
> problem in introducing waterway=ditch + usage=drainage as an
> alternative way to tag drainage ditches.

this would work nicely for these cases, but it would not bring more
consistency.
There is no way on a global level to make sense of a system that has 3 classes
for artificial waterways, where the word for one is about shape (ditch) and for
another one about function (drain), because it essentially was developed in a
context where irrigation does not happen, so that drainage is the implied usage
for all of them (in this context), and “drain” implies some kind of shape/form
as well.

We might use “ditch” for irrigation ditches, but using “drain” for irrigation
ways would be very ugly.

It would seem more versatile to have a system that separated tags for usage
from those about shape and construction, I agree, but I’m not sure amending
current tags is the way to go, maybe a complete redesign would be more safe and
easier/cleaner for transition.

Also there could be a more detailed description of the structure, is it a
concrete tube / flume, or sheet pile, or just a ditch? Is the bank vertical or
sloped? How high are the banks?

The continued discussions about waterway tagging to me suggest there is some
need for an extension or remake, it clearly doesn’t work well as it is, at
least not everywhere.

Cheers, Martin