On 19/02/19 20:40, Eugene Podshivalov wrote:
Canals and ditches are artificial channels carrying naturual water
this suggests there is 'unnatural' water...
, so are the channels of a straightened river or stream. imho there is not difference between them.
No difference to the water (natural or otherwise).
If we had such sections tagged as artificial waterways it would be possible to calculate statistics on man's impact on natural waterways and detect the old natural channels.

Many 'natural' waterways have older 'natural' channels. In fact many have more than one set of older 'natural' channels.

Many waterways have been changed by man's actions, sometimes the effect was intentional. Picking which sections are 'natural' or 'unnatural' ... can be a difficult job. Verifiable? In some cases only by an expert.
Not something I'd map. Is not OSM for the present, use OHM for the history?

Considering narrow river sections are tagged as waterway=stream, and wide streams are tagged as waterway=river, it is only waterway relations which let you actually understand what that waterway is.

Cheers,
Eugene