sent from a phone

> On 24. Feb 2019, at 22:20, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Replace the existing highway= types (=motorway; =primary etc) with highway=1
> to =5?, with 1 being the existing =motorway, down to 5 being all the minor
> streets in a town.

rather than replacing the highway tags I would suggest to add tags for
properties which we want to describe and „can“ not yet. It is very hard to
often impossible to get back to individual properties from generalized
information. The highway class is such a generalized tag, the categories
summarize different properties of a road, focusing on the network. It served us
quite well, but it doesn’t provide answers for specific legal/technical
questions, like which is the road class according to local planning
authorities, or which is the network class in the national system.
These could be additional tags

Cheers, Martin