Am Do., 7. März 2019 um 16:52 Uhr schrieb Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com>:

> On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 at 14:44, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> usually areas end at their actual borders in OSM, so unless you can park
>> in the middle of the road, it should not be contained in the parking area.
>>

> If we usually mapped roads as areas, I'd agree with you 100%.  ...

Right, there's this "incompatibility" of the highway graph with the rest of
our data. There are efforts to map roads also as areas though, and sooner
or later this kind of mapping will be established (in built up areas and
particularly where the shape is not regular, so that it actually makes
sense to do it, e.g. historic town centres).

> But we don't normally map roads as areas.  Which is why, when a footpath
> perpendicularly
> joins a road, we extend the footpath all the way to the road itself.

you could split the footway and give the part that is only "virtual" and
due to our data model, a different tag. I'm doing this occasionally for
driveways (access=private only after the gate, different surface etc.)

> Your way, we'd have a gap between the parking area and the road when it
> renders.

no, just in the editor. In the rendering the parking area will probably be
on the road ;-)

>   Which
> there isn't because in reality they're conjoined and contiguous.  Your
> way, the parking area
> wouldn't be routeable.

of course you could route to the parking area. Every router does this all
the time. We don't add housenumbers to the road, do we?

> Your way, people would spend a lot of time mapping for the renderer by
> tweaking the parking area until it just touched the road (which renders as
> a line of non-zero
> width).

if someone is obsessed with highzoom street rendering he should probably
push for highway areas.

>   Only to have to change it if the road classification changes and so the
> width of the
> line representing the road changes.

generally our roads are thicker than they are in reality, only in the
highest zoom levels this might change to the opposite. It is impossible to
get this right in all zoom levels.

> You're being a purist for the editor and the data structure, you don't
> care how it renders or routes.
> Some of us are pragmatists.

routing is not an issue, for the rendering results _might_ look more
"clean" if you extend the parking up to the middle of the road (not that
the representation would be more accurate though), but at the cost that the
parking area will become much bigger than it actually is.

Cheers,
Martin