Key:landcoverTags: landcover=trees & landcover=grassUsage: The landcover
key is used to describe what covers the land. Currently, the most used
values are trees and grass. What is tagged: A landcover tag is used to map
a physical area of (currently) grass or trees in two cases:

   1. when the human use of the land is not known, e.g. an area of grass
   not visibly dedicated to any purpose, or
   2. when landcover differs from the implied landcover of the underlying
   landuse, eg a grass clearing within a forest, or patches of trees within an
   industrial, residential or military area.

In this context, “underlying landuse” includes other tags which represent
types of landuse such as leisure=park.

Combination of landuse and landcover: Area features can have both landuse
and landcover tags. The landuse indicates what the land is used for; the
landcover indicates what it is covered with.

Where landuse implies a landcover and the above two use cases are not
applicable or foreseen, adding landcover is redundant.

Fr gr Peter Elderson